Memorial Day Quotes | Famous Memorial Day Quotes: Memorial Day, the federal U.S. holiday that takes place every year on the last Monday of May, is just another excuse for a three-day weekend. It’s also known as the day that marks the official start of summer and as a day devoted to getting great deals at the mall. However, the true meaning of Memorial Day goes far beyond barbecues and mattress sales.
The holiday began after the Civil War, and at that time was known as “Decoration Day”. While it was originally founded to honor the soldiers who died in the Civil War, today, Memorial Day is a day to honor all of the Americans who have died in military service.
Important Facts About Memorial Day
- Memorial Day started as Decoration Day. – It started when soldiers and family would decorate gravestones.
- James Garfield gave the first Memorial Day speech.– The Ohio congressman and future President spoke at the Arlington National Cemetery.
- Decoration Day honored those who died in the Civil War.– Over 620,000 died on both sides of the war. Later, it expanded to recognize all wars. In fact, it would likely not have continued as a holiday otherwise.
- Some Southern states celebrate a separate day to honor fallen Confederate soliders.– Later, we expanded its meaning to recognize soldiers who gave their lives in conflict.
- Several towns claim to have started Memorial Day.– Waterloo, New York was recognized by Congress as the official town, but others claim to be first including Boalsburg, PA, and Carbondale, IL.
- In the USA at 3 PM, you should remember those who gave their lives for the country.- From baseball games stopping to Amtrak trains sounding a whistle, many organizations will recognize 3 PM on Monday as a time to stop for one minute to reflect. Memorial Day also designated by Congress as a time to pray for permanent peace.
- Americans will eat 818 hot dogs per second or 71 million in a day.– Los Angeles consumes more than any other city in the United States. On July 4th, Americans will enjoy 150 million hot dogs. Line them up and it would cover a trip from D.C. to L.A. more than five times.
- Many confuse Memorial Day with Veterans Day.– Where Veterans Day honors everyone who has served in the armed forces, Memorial Day honors those who paid the ultimate price and died for the country.
- Every grave in Arlington National Cemetery will have a flag for the holiday.
Famous Memorial Day Quotes
1. “I don’t have to tell you how fragile this precious gift of freedom is. Every time we hear, watch or read the news, we are reminded that liberty is a rare commodity in this world.” – President Ronald Reagan
2. “A people that value its privileges above its principles soon loses both.” – President Dwight D. Eisenhower
3. “It doesn’t take a hero to order men into battle. It takes a hero to be one of those men who goes into battle.” – General Norman Schwarzkopf Jr.
4. “There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be cured with what is right in America.” – President Bill Clinton
5. “How important it is for us to recognize and celebrate our heroes and she-roes!” – Maya Angelou
6. “It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.” – General George S. Patton
7. “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.” – President Thomas Jefferson
8. “Decoration Day is the most beautiful of our national holidays … The grim cannon has turned into palm branches, and the shell and shrapnel into peach blossoms.” – Thomas Bailey Aldrich
9. “Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.” – Mark Twain
10. “Our nation owes a debt to its fallen heroes that we can never fully repay, but we can honor their sacrifice.” – President Barack Obama
11. “On thy grave, the rain shall fall from the eyes of a mighty nation!” – Thomas William Parsons
12. “In the truest sense, freedom cannot be bestowed; it must be achieved.” – President Franklin D. Roosevelt
13. “Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.” – President John F. Kennedy
14. “Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism.” – President George Washington
15. “And they who for their country die shall fill an honored grave, for glory lights the soldier’s tomb, and beauty weeps the brave.” – Joseph Rodman Drake
16. “We come, not to mourn our dead soldiers, but to praise them.” – Francis A. Walker
17. “Heroism is not only in the man but in the occasion.” – President Calvin Coolidge
18. “Although no sculptured marble should rise to their memory, nor engraved stone bear record of their deeds, yet will their remembrance be as lasting as the land they honored.” – Daniel Webster
19. “They hover as a cloud of witnesses above this Nation.” – Henry Ward Beecher
20. “The brave die never, though they sleep in dust: Their courage nerves a thousand living men.” – Minot J. Savage
21. “Our debt to the heroic men and valiant women in the service of our country can never be repaid. They have earned our undying gratitude. America will never forget their sacrifices.” – President Harry S. Truman
22. “For the love of country, they accepted death.”
– President James A. Garfield
Happy Memorial Day Quotes
There was nothing macho about the war at all. We were a bunch of scared kids who had a job to do. – E. R. Sledge
You see your guys out there, and you say, ‘I’m not going to let those guys go solo.’ – Sgt. Jeffrey Grothause
“The patriot’s blood is the seed of Freedom’s tree.” – Thomas Campbell
“I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country.” – Nathan Hale
“And I’m proud to be an American, where at least I know I’m free. And I won’t forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.” – Lee Greenwood
“I have long believed that sacrifice is the pinnacle of patriotism.” – Bob Riley
“Who kept the faith and fought the fight; The glory theirs, the duty ours.” – Wallace Bruce
“A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself.” – Joseph Campbell
“The dead soldier’s silence sings our national anthem.” – Aaron Kilbourn
“They are dead, but they live in each Patriot’s breast, And their names are engraved on honor’s bright crest.” – Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
“Dead upon the field of glory, Hero fit for song and story.” – John Randolph Thompson
I wanted to be a hero…The war’s been going on for two years. I didn’t wanna miss it…I was an American. I was seventeen. – Roger Tuttrup
There were big geysers coming up where the shells were landing and there were bodies floating, face down, face up. – Elliott Johnson
So that was all about Memorial Day Quotes | Famous Memorial Day Quotes. Do share our post to give honor and gratitude towards our Armed Forces man and women who had died while serving their country. Share these Images on this memorial day to remember those heroes.
Thanks for Visit!!